Shop for Personalized Children Books at ISeeMe.com!

Friday, September 7, 2012

How to pick the right books...

How do I pick my books... signing up for the summer reading program was a start but the library does not give you a reading list. So I started with picture books and easy readers. I also found this book
 
What to read when by Pam Allyn


Allyn's book is a wonderful place to start. She is an award winning author/ educator. She discusses the differences in how boys read compared to girls. She gives you book lists to read by child's age, attention ability, gender, and interests. Pam includes a “Reader’s Ladder” section, with recommendations for children at every stage from birth to age ten

 Allyn further discusses reading aloud to your children even at ages 6 and up. She suggests reading the same book your child is reading so you can discuss it together. {GREAT IDEA}

Allyn's book can be read from cover to cover or you can use it as a guide and just pick out the information that interests you. Allyn's book is easy to read so your older child can read it to get ideas for book reports.

If your looking to order any magazines Allyn's book gives you age appropriate magazines list.

Allyn's book sells on AMAZON for about $13.00 or I am sure your local library will have a copy.


 
Another way I pick my books is by talking to my sons teachers. One suggestion was




Curious George Curious About Phonics 12 Book Set was a great find. It has 12 books that any Kindergartner should be able to read. If  your child is just starting to read, this is a great start.

The books are full of Dolch Sight Words (these are words most frequently used in the English language) and pronunciation skills. There is a parents guide to help you encourage you and your child to read.

These are great books if you only have enough time for one book. Remember every little bit counts. So if you only have 5 minutes before bed have your child read this to you.

I purchased this book set from Scholastic Book Clubs it was about $9.00

I don't buy every book. I use the library A LOT!!! Our library lets you keep books for three weeks which is long enough for your child to enjoy the book. I do buy books that I know can be passed from my son to my daughter such as classic titles and family favorites.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment